Hi Girls! I’ve had many requests to tell a little bit more about my fitness journey, and to show you my food & fitness dairy, so here we go!
My fitness journey started 2,5 years ago. Over the college years, I graduately gained about 10 kilo’s, because of all the fun dinners and parties with friends. Exercising was something I did off-and-on. Some months I would go to the gym, to Zumba, or go running with friends, but especially in the wintertime, I would prefer to stay on the couch and watch movies all night. Preferably with some icecream or Doritos!
When I started working as a medical doctor, I made very long working days. I would come home and be sooo tired, that after a big evening meal I would often fall asleep on the couch. I realised I needed all the energy I could get. So that’s when my decision was made: I wanted to gain back my healthy, strong and toned body. More importantly, I wanted to feel more energized and less lethargic!
How did I change this around?
I read a lot about weightlifting and it convinced me to give it a try. bought a book about weightlifting for guys. It had different training schemes, all designed to gain muscle mass. Also, I changed my eating scheme. This took some getting used to at start!
The most important differences with my old eating habits were:
1. Eating a large breakfast with a good amout of protein.
2. Eating a healthy and filling snack at 4PM, to prevent myself from overeating at dinner.
I still consider these two eating habits the best two changes I ever made!
Nowadays I train a lot at Elevator Gym in Rotterdam (the Netherlands). It’s a high intensity total body circuit workout with weightlifting and cardio elements. It’s super fun! If you’d like to try circuit training, check out the NTC app (Nike Training Centre) and pick chapter “Get Toned”. Or incorporate plyometric movements (like jumping squats) in between your weightlifting sessions.
What changed for me?
Well, I lost a total of 12 kilograms. But really, that’s not the important thing. What’s important, is everything I GAINED from changing my lifestyle.
I made a list, because it’s a list I’m proud of, and very very happy with!
1. I lost 12 kilograms. Fact.
2. I gained a LOT of muscle mass, giving me a toned look, but also giving me strength and a strong core, and making me feel powerful.
3. I gained more energy. I feel much more alive. I don’t have “food coma’s” anymore, where I fall asleep after eating like a trucker. I sleep better in general.
4. I gained more positivity. I lost a lot of anxiety. I’m more open and confident to speak to strangers. I’m less scared to fail, which for me is a big improvement. These are things I practiced in the gym, but I also see changes in my daily life.
5. I gained more happiness and self-love. Nowadays, I don’t just workout for the physical changes, but also for the amazing happy feeling after a workout (endorphines, I love you!). I’m happy with my body in general. I treat my body so much better. I like giving my body nutrients, sleep, love, exercise, lots of water, and ofcourse the occasional chocolate splurge.
6. I gained more friends. I met so much amazing people through fitness. Some in real life (like the entire amazing #FITGIRLCODE crew), some online via my Instagram account.
Okay, so this is my story! I hope it inspired you to take good care of your body and soul. You truly deserve it. The toned body and biceps guns are also nice, ofcourse 😉
If you have any questions, please leave them in a comment below or send me an e-mail on firstname.lastname@example.org. I’ll get back to you and maybe write a blog about the most asked questions!
Below is my current Food and Exercise Schedule. This is a regular working week for me. I hope you notice I eat quite a lot! And I’m also not afraid to eat carbohydrates. With this kind of scheme I’m still losing fat and gaining muscle. If you want to copy my scheme, be my guest! But you know your body best, so please listen to your gut and adjust the scheme if necessary.
Food and exercise schedule