Becoming a Fit Girl can be hard and difficult and progress is always slow. Sometimes you will want to cry, and you will think more than once: “Why am I doing this to myself?!”. But remember, slow progress is still better than no progress. You are trying to change your lifestyle and that alone is amazing already. We are proud of you for starting that journey! To help you figure out which way to go, we have set up a 10-step plan that will help you to achieve your ultimate goal and become a Fit Girl!
1. Our golden rule: cut the crap! It’s time to get fit! Cut down on artificial sugars, start drinking water and green tea, quit the weekly junkfood. Treat your body like a car – it needs the right fuel so it can work at its best capabilities. Becoming fit is 80% due to eating the right foods, and only 20% to exercising.
2. Love yourself for who you are. Do not see you your body as something that has to be changed, but as something that can be improved. You are amazing just the way you are, never forget that!
3. Set up a foodplan. It’s not about eating less, it is about eating healthy. Setting up an eating plan can help you prevent impulse eating and gives you an idea of what groceries to get and helps you to keep up a healthy lifestyle. For inspiration, check out Aranka’s and Chris’ food log. Or make your plan using our Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner recipes.
4. Eat that damn chocolate! Allow yourself to have cheat days. Your willpower is like a muscle, and needs to be stretched and relieved in balance. If you deny yourself any kind of treat for two weeks straight, one day you’ll end up going crazy and splurging on everything bad within your reach. You have been working hard, so treat yourself every once in a while, you deserve it!
5. Participate in one of our monthly challenges. They can help you to exercise regularly and gain some experience with what you do and don’t like. Plus you’re not participating alone, there’s an entire community doing this with you!
6. Start excersing regularly. You don’t have to start by doing this 7 times a week. When you just start to work-out, 2 or 3 times a week is enough. Moreover, 7 times a week is probably gonna kill you if you’re not used to working out. Also, try to find a sport that you like. You can do this by trying out different sports and see which one you enjoy the most. It’s all about having fun, not about punishing your body. Try yoga, rollerblading, combat sports, really, there are so many fun sports out there for you to try out!
7. Find yourself a BFFF (Best Fit Friend Forever). When working out together, you will definitely be more motivated than when working out all by yourself. For example, when you don’t feel like going for a run, you still have to go, because you can’t let your BFFF down. Exercising is so much more fun if you do it together!
8. Buy some pretty work out clothes. New clothes can motivate you to start working out; they don’t deserve to gather dust in your closet, but to be worn with pride. And of course you look stunning in them. And no worries, those clothes do not necessarily have to be expensive, there are plenty of brands out there that fit your budget.
9. Set yourself some goals. When setting goals try not to focus on what number you desire on the scale, but try to focus on getting fit and feeling healthier. Muscles weigh more than fat, so that number doesn’t mean anything. For example, you could say that in three months, you want to run 5km in half a hour without gasping for air. Make sure you set realistic goals – nobody expects anything from you but you. You should already feel proud that you are trying to change into a Fit Girl. And don’t forget, even if you’re running like your old granny, you’re still beating everybody on the couch 😉
10. Forget the scale, make progress pictures. And no you do not HAVE TO post them on the internet. It’s just for you, because us girls, are very visual and need a reminder sometimes. The scale is an evil little liar and is not intelligent enough to see the difference between fat and muscle. Progress pictures give you a very clear view how how far you have become. Only the first one is the hardest. After that, you will be very happy you made the step!
Also, don’t forget to follow us on Facebook,Instagram, and Twitter for your daily dose of motivation. We are an entire community going through the exact same stuff as you, so why not help each other and go through this journey together!
YOU CAN DO THIS!