Hover or plank. This Fit Girl thought that they were just two different names for the exactly the same exercise but – ‘shame on me’ – there is a difference. It’s a small difference, but still there is a difference. When you’re doing a hover, you’re leaning on your elbows, and when you are doing a plank you’re leaning on your hands. Simple difference, but it still. So now you know this great fact ;-) let’s get ready for three awesome variations of the hover. Let’s go!
Take ‘hardcore’ pretty literal, because the hover is one of the best exercises to get your core (read: abs!) as solid as a rock. Of course you can isolate your abs by doing exercises like sit-ups, but when you’re doing a hover, you will work on multiple muscle groups at the same time. These simple (but nasty) exercise makes your abs, back and shoulders stronger and your stability will improve as well. Sounds like a good win-win to me!
I’m still recovering from giving birth 4 months ago, but I’m really happy I can work my abs again. And god was I sore after this workout... But oh my, this hover is a great one! I took the LES MILLS CXWORX class at my gym and this fit girl was on fire! So that’s why I really wanted to share this freaky hover exercise with you girls.
- I did this one on my knees but feel free to go for the toes option.
- Hold your elbows directly under your shoulders and place your wrists in line with your elbows.
- In this position, brace your abs—contract them like expecting a punch in your stomach, squeeze your gluteal (tailbone) and thigh muscles simultaneously while continuing to breathe normally.
- Put your right hand in a slanting position (like a real spiderman)
- Hold it there for about 3 seconds
- Than switch your hand
- Repeat until the flames in your body are really killing you. Adjust the speed to make your workout easier or heavier.
This one is a best of both worlds, because you’re doing the plank and the hover in one exercise. When I give Bootcamp classes this is one of my favourites. Feel free to drop down on your knees, when you’re not happy doing this one on your toes. Don’t wiggle your body, try to keep your body still. Just focus on your arms, abs and back.
- Get in the hover position. (toes or knees)
- From a crouched position, place elbows beneath shoulders, and ground the forearms.
- Stay on the spot, but alternate your elbows with your hands. From your elbows to your hands. Hand – hand – elbow – elbow and so on.
- Maintain a straight plank position.
- Keep your head and neck in line with your spine.
- I’m sure you can hold up for a minute (or more!)
Knee tuck hover
Are you looking for more action during the hover? Use your knees while standing strong. The one and only rule is doing this one on your toes! But you can do it! Tighten up your obliques! Ready?
- You are standing strong. Back straight. Check. Bottom low. Check.
- Bring your right knee towards your right elbow and back.
- Switch legs and bring your left knee towards your left elbow.
- Repeat and repeat. Rock that body for at least one minute.