Pink rice with tomatoes
Last Friday I really felt like eating fried rice. It’s so tempting to go to the Chinese take-away, but I wanted to make a healthy version so I ran into the kitchen. This dish of pink tomato rice is not only super healthy, it also looks adorable. I just have to share it with you, a true Fit Girl dinner.
I love fried rice, because it’s a dish that contains everything I like; rice, meat, vegetables and herbs. Traditionally, the rice should be baked in oil but for for this recipe I choose to cook the rice. While the rice is cooking, add ½ a beet cut in cubes. This will make the rice turn pink and make your plate look adorable.
For this fried rice, I like to use a lot of vegetables, such as tomatoes. The tomato is filled with vitamin C, zinc, iron but most of all lycopene, a very powerful antioxidant. Also, tomatoes stimulate the production of pro collagen, a protein that makes your skin glimmer and shine. Apart from the vegetables, this dish also contains a lot of fresh herbs. I love herbs because they add so much taste to your dish and they are filled with a lot of healthy nutrients. For this dish particularly, I like to use coriander. This herb contains a lot of iron, which is good for your blood, reduces the growth of bacteria and improves the digestion.
What you need:
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat rice
- 3 1/2 ounces cauliflower
- 3 1/2 ounces broccoli
- 1 cup (roughly 7 ounces) different kinds of baby tomatoes (mixed)
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- Fresh coriander
- 1 beetroot
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of (vegetable or meat broth) herbs
- Salt, pepper, cayenne to taste
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
How to make it:
- Cook 1/4 cup of whole-wheat rice as instructed, together with one beetroot (cut in cubes) and some salt.
- Take a different pan and boil the cauliflower and broccoli.
- Cut an onion in small pieces and cook it in a pan. When the onion is golden, add a squeezed clove of garlic. Cut the tomatoes in small pieces and add it to the onion and garlic.
- When the rice is done, add it to the tomatoes together with the cauliflower and broccoli.
- Finish it off with adding a little soy sauce, lemon juice, coriander and other herbs.