Fit & Training door fannetiek

So how are you holding up with your NY’s resolutions? Still going strong? Hope so. If you are a new-year-new-you kinda person, I might have some great tips regarding your health and those resolutions. If you’re not, these tips will still help you reach your goals. I promise. Because without at least some knowledge about nutrition, training, motivation, and supplementation, your New Year's resolutions for better health in 2015 may never happen. And the year is still so young.

Make that compound count
When you begin training, keep this in mind: 80 percent of your results come from 20 percent of the causes. In other words, out of your entire exercise program, only 20 percent of the movements will produce results. Unless you're in a very early stage of your fit journey, the other 80 percent won’t help much. Bummer.

To make the most out of your 20 percent, use compound movements. Exercise movements that require two or more muscle groups to perform at the same time (think squats, deadlifts, benchpress) are better than isolation movements (machines), which only require one muscle group. Because compound movements will give better hormonal response to building muscle than isolation movements will, you'll always get better results with an exercise program that centers around compound movements. Ask your gym to help you with a program.

Nutrition on point? (Yes I mean food)
Regardless of your training goals, healthy eating should be important as well, maybe even more so.
Food is what fuels your body to reach your goals. Without proper nutrition through quality foods, you're likely to never see any real results and that would be a shame of your hard work in the gym. Stick for 80 percent of the time to whole foods that offer a blend of complex carbohydrates, complete proteins, and fats. Avoid processed and packaged foods. Important: Count your macro’s. Know what you eat and how much you need to reach your goals. If you do, you can fill the other 20 percent with not-so-good-food as long as it fits your macro’s. Awesome no?

Make a workout plan and stick to it
A very important tip for beginners is to lay out a plan! Plan out what days you'll be hitting the gym so you can start getting into a routine. It's important to take it slowly at first. Go to the gym three (or four) times per week. Go too often and you run the risk of getting burned out or injured. A great start would be to put together a goal that says something like this: "My gym days are Monday, Tuesday and Thursday (and Saturday)." And – mark my words – Stick.With.That.Plan.

Once you've decided which days you'll go to the gym, make it a priority. Don’t skip ‘m unless you’re really really sick or whatever. Otherwise you go. If you can commit to those three of four days for 4-6 weeks, you'll take the first steps toward success. After that, you can up those days in the gym or you can write a new goal like: "I plan to do my first pull-up within three months." Challenge yourself with small, attainable goals to keep your motivation high and there you go!

Please ladies, after this I will never mention it again, but please go and lift those weights! Say goodbye to that sweet sweet crosstrainer you’ve spent so many beautiful hours on (like really?) and get your ass to the iron. Ask your trainers for tips or ask the nice guy next to the squat rack if you are performing your squats right. Stick to the big compound muscle-building movements and stay away from silly little machines. You have to build a house by creating a foundation, and nothing builds a foundation like heavy barbell movements. So there you go. Is that squat-rack free?

Preparation is key for your healthy new lifestyle. I know when I do not have my meals prepped and packed and my workout planned that it's much easier for me to make excuses to skip a meal or training session. Going to the gym without a plan is like going to the grocery store without a list. Having your workouts prepared will help you stay on track and will prevent you from feeling lost, intimidated, or wondering what the hell you are doing.

Don't believe that you can get there by taking shortcuts. The only way to achieve what you want will be through old-fashioned hard work, discipline, and determination. It’s all on you.