I’m a sucker for Italian food. When a date recently asked me how often I ate pasta, I said “well actually, never!” He thought that was really odd, but I explained that I looked quite differently when I ate pasta 5 times a week.
I always have to go for a second round when I eat pasta, and I’d preferably eat it with a parmesan cheese-sauce which you make with fresh whipped cream. And then also extra parmesan of course, because that’s an instant happy-maker. But to keep my nice figure, I almost always replace my pasta with zucchini strands, which you can make very easily with a spirelli. Delicious! But today I’m sharing my healthy lasagna with grilled eggplant with you. Eggplant has a soft texture and is a very tasteful meat replacer.
Ingrediënts for 2 people:
- 1 eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- Some mushrooms
- 1 onion
- Organic tomato sauce
- (fresh) basil
- Old cheese (or goat cheese for an even healthier version)
- Pre-heat the oven on 200 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the eggplant vertically in slices of 1cm thick. Grill them in a grill machine, in the oven or in the pan. These are going to be your healthy lasagne sheets.
- Cut the other veggies in small pieces and cook them until ready. Add the tomato sauce and stir well. Turn off the heat and mix the fresh basil in it.
- Put some slices of the grilled eggplant in an oven dish and put 1/3 of the sauce over it.
- Mix it with some spoonfuls of quark, or some of the cheese.
- Put another layer of eggplant on this, and on top of that another layer of the sauce. Continue till everything’s in the oven dish. It doesn’t matter if you end with the sauce or the eggplant.
- Cover the upper layer with (goat)cheese and put the dish in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted and crispy! You don’t have to put it in any longer, because your other ingredients are already done.
It’s a little bit different from regular lasagna, but so delicious! You can serve a simple salad of tomatoes, lettuce and olives on the side. Follow me on Instagram for more food inspiration! Bon appetit!