Most of the players in our team are pretty young, so we are still learning about what’s good for an athlete and what’s not. Fortunately our chef Eric knows everything about food. He is the funniest, sweetest and healthiest cook in the world. He surprises us with all sorts of delicious things, like healthy pizza and sushi with nuts and vegetables. Every athlete at Papendal knows him and his wonderful kitchen. He collected his favorite recipes in his own cookbook: Goud op je bord (in English: Gold on your plate).
In our team we often have hypes. Who the trendsetter is? We don’t know. The hypes appear out of nowhere and suddenly everybody is into it. Nowadays the hype is to make healthy spelt muffins when someone has their birthday. Eric taught us how to make these amazing Lemon Apple Muffins. We get up early and surprise the birthday girl with super jummy and healthy baked goodies.
Do you want to spoil your friends, family or colleagues with a delightsome muffin? Try Eric’s recipe:
- 250 grams spelt flour
- 1 sachet baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 vanilla beans
- 150 grams of cottage cheese
- 400 g apples with peel
- 1 grated lime peel
- Juice of one lemon
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 100 grams of raisins
- 80 grams of dried cranberries
- 50 grams of almond flakes
- Sift the spelt flour and baking powder through a sieve
- Put the eggs, honey, the scraped content of the vanilla beans and the cottage cheese in a mixing bowl
- Cut the apples into wedges and remove the core. Cut the wedges into small pieces and put them in a bowl.
- Grate some lime peel on top of the apples.
- Cut the lemon into quarters and squeeze the juice out over the apples
- Add the cinnamon, raisins, cranberries and half of the almonds flakes and stir it well.
- Preheat oven to 175 gr celsius
- Fill the muffin tins (12 pieces) with the baking paper
- Stirr the egg/quark mixure in a blender for about 3 minutes.
- Stirr the spelt flour trough the egg/quark mixture and add the apple mixture.
- Fill the muffin tins with the mixture.
- Wet the almond flakes and sprinkle these on top of the muffins.
- Bake the muffins in about 25 minutes
What’s your favorite healty recipe? Please share it with me and I might surprise my fellow teammates with your dish!