So we're all trying to lead a happy, healthy lifestyle. And for me, keeping my hair healthy is also a big part of that. I recently started transitioning into more natural products for my hair and skin. Because I don't only want to be healthy on the inside, I want it to show everywhere. Including the outside of my body.
This hair mask is for all of you dealing with dry hair and/or a dry scalp. If you’re a curly haired girl like I am, you’re hair is going to be forever dry. But you can try to limit this as much as possible by taking really good care of your locks. One of the things you can do to help keep your hair in good condition is to regularly use a hydrating hair mask. Here’s a recipe that you will have whipped up in minutes. Oh, and you could consider eating it as well...
WHAT YOU NEED:
- one ripe avocado (use half)
- one ripe banana (use half)
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
Note: Depending on the amount/length/thickness of your hair you might need to adjust proportions.
HOW IT’S MADE:
In a blender, mix all ingredients together, making sure the avocado and banana are completely blended into a fine puree. If not, it will be difficult to get the lumps out of your hair later on.
Apply it to your (dry or wet) hair and cover with a shower cap or cling film. Leave in for at least 30 minutes. If your hair is very dry you can leave it in longer or sleep with it overnight. After 30 minutes (or the next morning) use a sulfate free shampoo or botanical cleanser and cleanse as usual. Make sure every bit of avocado and banana is rinsed out!
- Avocado: rich in vitamin E and protein. Smoothens and softens the hair. Also good for dealing with dandruff because of it’s nourishing/moisturizing qualities.
- Banana: aids in strengthening weak, thin hair thanks to it’s vitamin A, potassium and protein.
- Honey: a natural moisturizer because of its natural vitamins and minerals. Honey also has healing properties.
- Olive Oil: probably the most important natural ingredient you should have for your (dry) hair. It is made up of fatty acids which protect damaged hair and add shine to dry hair. Softens hair, treats dandruff and frizz and makes hair more manageable overall.
- Coconut Oil: fatty acids protect hair from breakage. Rich in vitamin E and K, moisturizes and improves scalp blood circulation. Contains anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties and protects against dandruff.